Hello everyone again,
It is now June - the last month in our school year (and in Primary 1), the sun is still shining and we are still not back together again in our classroom - sad and unbelievable! Thank you everyone once again for all your hard work and please remember to continue with your "Home Schooling" this week, at your child's pace. Remember too, the importance of fun family learning activities - playing games, baking, water fun and lots of story telling etc. Continue to stay well, keep smiling and keep in touch with me at email@example.com with any queries or to send your lovely photographs - which make me feel really happy .
Missing you all lots,
Love Mrs Moore x.
Language and Literacy
- Handwriting - Continue to form all letters correctly and try to write neatly on the lines - when completing writing activities - as before.
- Writing sentences - Continue to use capital letters and full stops to demarcate sentences and finger spaces between words. Sentences also need to make sense. (Please remember again the different levels of support required by some children for this) - as before.
- Continue to play "Sky Writer" and "Letter Formation" on "topmarks.co.uk" - letter formation revision.
- Further sentence work - "IXL English" - (Year 1) - skills - "Sentences" - "Find The Complete Sentence".
- Continue to remember that sentences need to make sense - complete worksheets (2) - "The Magic Spell" and "Simple Sentence Scramble".
- Cut up the "Weather Sentence Construction Cards" (1) and (2) - use the cards to make different sentences about "Weather" - (*Don't forget to use the "full stop" cards at the end of your sentences).
- My Diary - continue written weekly entries - using your "useful" words on the "Learning Tree" in your diary and your knowledge of phonics to spell unknown words.
- Watch "CBeebies" - "Nelly And Nora's Sunny Adventures".
- Independent writing - write 2 or 3 sentences about "sunny" weather - what you wear and what you can do in sunny weather. (*Remember capital letters / full stops / finger spaces etc for sentences).
- Revision - Continue naming and sounding out all letters of the alphabet and "ch", "sh" and "th" sounds.
- Continue to spell "CVC" - (Consonant, Vowel, Consonant) words.
- *(Those children working on (group 1 and 2) sounds / letters - s,a,t,p,i,n,c,e,h,k,r,m,d,g,l,o last week) - focus on (group 3) sounds / letters b,u,f this week - name the letters and identify the sound each letter makes. Write the letters b,u,f too.
Talking and Listening:
- Children continue to recount and talk about their own experiences e.g family events etc – using details such as who, what, where, when and why.
- Continue to develop a range of vocabulary associated with the new "Weather / Summer" topic.
- Continue to ask and answer questions - in connection with the new topic.
- Talk about different types of weather - focussing this week on "sunny" weather.
- Continue to listen to and join in with a range of stories, poems and rhymes on "topmarks.co.uk" - "Storyteller Videos" and "Cbeebies" - "Stories" and of course those read by family members at home.
- Talk about stories read - showing understanding.
- As before, please continue to enjoy stories with family members at home, on the CBeebies website and continue to download eBooks and audio books from "NI libraries" and "Oxford Owl". In addition, continue reading your recommended books on "MyOn". Whilst downloading the eBooks from "Oxford Owl" and reading from the free "eBook Library" - remember (as before) to do so in this order - (Levels - "Book Band Levels" - Lilac - (picture story books) - Pink - Red - (books with simple text / words) or "Oxford Levels" - (1) - (picture story books) - (1+) - (2) - (books with simple text / words).
- Continue to enjoy information books about our current topic "Weather / Summer".
- Please remember to continue learning to recognise all the words enclosed in your homework folder, in your first learning pack - to build up your sight vocabulary. Make sentences using your flashcards and read - practise daily. "IXL English" - (Year 1) - skills - "Sight Words" - "Complete The Sentence With The Correct Sight Word" and "Spell The Sight Word".
- Continue talking about the "parts of your book" - page, front cover, back cover, spine etc - Identify these on all books being read.
- Continue to recognise capital letters, full stops and sentences in books.
- Continue to identify some familiar words in the text.
- Continue to use knowledge of phonics to sound out unfamiliar words - ("blending" sounds to read words) - "Oxford Owl" - free "eBook Library" - "Read, Write, Inc" Phonics books - please continue to read these at your own pace.
- Continue to identify characters, settings and endings (happy / sad) in stories.
(* Please continue to practise all the Literacy skills you have learned in Primary 1 to date, on "IXL English" - (Reception). Work through all the 48 skills at your own pace - there is lots to do for everyone! *)
Mathematics and Numeracy
Activities shall be set out for the different aspects of Mathematics and Numeracy for this period of "Home Learning" as follows:-
Note *(As before, those children who still have some activities in their "New Heinemann Mathematics - Numbers To 10" workbook and also in their classwork books to complete, please continue to work on at these, at your own pace. When you are confident counting, writing and recognising each number, introduce yourself to the next number). Please also continue to work on at your "All About Numbers 0 - 10" booklet - (given 3 weeks ago) and practise writing numbers using "Letter Formation" on "https://www.doorwayonline.org.uk/activities/letterformation/" - (number formation).
- Continue to count, write and recognise number values 0-5 / 0-10 - lots of counting practice to 5 /10 - "IXL Maths"- (Year 1 skills - to stretch yourself a little more) - "Numbers And Counting Up To 3/5/10" and "Letter Formation" on "topmarks.co.uk" - "number formation". (As before - lots to do for everyone!)
- Continue to play "Teddy Numbers", "Helicopter Rescue" and "Count The Yeti 1-10" on "topmarks.co.uk".
- Continue to order number values 0-5 and 5-0 / 0-10 and 10-0 - (from different starting numbers).
- Carry out simple mental calculations - continue to identify which number comes before / after / between - using number values 0-5 / 0-10.
- Continue to count orally 1-10 / 1-20 - during your day e.g clapping your hands etc. Watch "CBeebies" - "Mysterious Land Beyond 10" and "Kindergarten Math - Starfall" - "Counting To 20".
- Add 0 / 1 to any number within 5 /10.
I hope that you now feel confident about your "Addition" work - just a little more this week to finish our learning in this area of Numeracy.
Number - Addition:
- Continue to understand the concept of "addition" - Play "Add Up With The Numberblocks" on "CBeebies" - use and understand the words - "and", "add", "plus", "more", "equals" & the "+" and "=" signs.
- Complete the "Number Shape Addition To 10" worksheets (4) - (see below). Read the sums printed.
- Complete the "Summer Addition" worksheet - (see below).
- Continue to practise / test your "addition" skills on "IXL Maths" - (Year 1 skills - to stretch yourself a little more) - "Addition Up To 5" and "Addition Up To 10" and on "topmarks.co.uk" - "Addition To 10", "Robot Addition" and "Museum Of Ten".
- Adding "doubles" within 10 - Test your skills on "IXL Maths" - (Reception) - "Add Doubles - Sums Up To 10".
- Revision - Continue to recognise and talk about some 3D shapes - cones, cylinders, cubes, spheres and cuboids.
- Watch "BBC Bitesize" - Northern Ireland - "Foundation Stage" - "Space and Shape - 3D Shapes".
- Complete worksheets (3) - "Shape Models 1 and 2" and "Match and Colour" - name the 3D shapes.
- Make a model using 3D shape "junk materials" e.g kitchen roll tubes, boxes, balls etc
- Continue to assess your "3D Shape" knowledge on "IXL Maths" - (Reception) - "Solid Shapes".
*(Don't forget the "Active Learn" tasks assigned to you - for further learning).
THE WORLD AROUND US
We shall continue work on our final primary 1 topics "Weather / Summer".
- Continue to talk about different types of weather - focus on "sunny" weather in relation to Summer.
- Continue to learn more about different types of weather by watching the videos / animations from the UK Met Office (on YouTube). See "Topmarks" - "Learn About Weather" and click on one of the YouTube videos - focusing on "sunny weather". There are even some songs that you can sing along with.
- Watch the "All About Summer" powerpoint - talk about Summer seasonal changes in relation to plants, animals, birds, ourselves and weather etc.
- Go outside for a walk and look around for signs of Summer.
- Watch "Cbeebies" - "Tips For Staying Safe In The Sun" - talk about staying safe in sunny weather e.g wearing suncream, hats etc.
All About Me - (P.D.M.U)
We are continuing this week, to think about ourselves and our bodies.
- Last week we were thinking about our feet and how they are all different. Hope you enjoyed having your feet painted! This week we shall be thinking about our hands which are all different too.
- Ask a grown up to paint your hands and place them on a piece of paper to make your handprints. You could then paint other family members' hands too and compare them to yours. Think about who has the biggest / smallest hands in your family? (This will tickle too - so have fun!!)
ART / CRAFT
Topic for artwork (Weather / Summer):-
- Make a 3D shape model using "junk materials" - (Mathematics and Numeracy).
- Don't forget to paint your hands to make your handprints.
- Draw a "sunny" weather picture.
for the "Healthy Kids Virtual Sports Day" on June 13th.