Hope you and your families are still all safe and well. Here is another week of "Home Schooling" activities for you, to work through at your own pace. Hope you all managed to enjoy some fun outside last week in the warm sun , whilst completing all your learning tasks too. Please continue again to keep smiling and remember you can still get in touch with me at email@example.com with any queries or photographs of your learning.
Still missing you all lots,
Love from: Mrs Moore x
Language and Literacy
- Handwriting - Continue to form all letters correctly and try to write neatly on the lines - when completing writing activities - as before.
- Writing sentences - Continue to use capital letters and full stops to demarcate sentences and finger spaces between words. Sentences also need to make sense. (Please remember again the different levels of support required by some children for this) - as before.
- Continue to play "Sky Writer" and "Letter Formation" on "topmarks.co.uk" - letter formation revision.
- Continue to remember that sentences need to make sense - complete worksheet (1) - "Weather Sentence Unscramble".
- Further sentence work - Complete worksheets (2) - "Weather Sentence" worksheet and "Draw The Weather" worksheet - read the weather sentences and draw the correct type of weather in the appropriate place.
- My Diary - continue written weekly entries - using your "useful" words on the "Learning Tree" in your diary and your knowledge of phonics to spell unknown words.
- Independent writing - write 2 or 3 sentences about your favourite weather and why it is your favourite weather - (*Remember again - capital letters / full stops / finger spaces etc for sentences). Use some of the weather words from the "Draw The Weather" worksheet to help you.
- Revision - Continue naming and sounding out all letters of the alphabet and "ch", "sh" and "th" sounds.
- Continue to spell "CVC" - (Consonant, Vowel, Consonant) words.
- *(Those children working on (group 1, 2 and 3) sounds / letters - s,a,t,p,i,n,c,e,h,k,r,m,d,g,l,o,b,u,f last week) - focus on (group 4) sounds / letters j,v,w this week - name the letters and identify the sound each letter makes. Write the letters j,v,w too.
Talking and Listening:
- Children continue to recount and talk about their own experiences e.g family events etc – using details such as who, what, where, when and why.
- Use a range of vocabulary to talk about their favourite Weather.
- Continue to ask and answer questions - in connection with the weather topic.
- Continue to listen to and join in with a range of stories, poems and rhymes on "topmarks.co.uk" - "Storyteller Videos" and "Cbeebies" - "Stories" and of course those read by family members at home.
- Talk about stories read - showing understanding.
- As before, please continue to enjoy stories with family members at home, on the CBeebies website and continue to download eBooks and audio books from "NI libraries" and "Oxford Owl". In addition, continue reading your recommended books on "MyOn". Whilst downloading the eBooks from "Oxford Owl" and reading from the free "eBook Library" - remember (as before) to do so in this order - (Levels - "Book Band Levels" - Lilac - (picture story books) - Pink - Red - (books with simple text / words) or "Oxford Levels" - (1) - (picture story books) - (1+) - (2) - (books with simple text / words).
- Continue to enjoy information books about our current topic "Weather / Summer".
- Please remember to continue learning to recognise all the words enclosed in your homework folder, in your first learning pack - to build up your sight vocabulary. Make sentences using your flashcards and read - practise daily. Read the "Top 50 Sight Words" - (see pdf below).
- Talk about the title and pictures on the front cover of all books being read.
- Continue to recognise capital letters, full stops and sentences in books.
- Continue to identify some familiar words in the text.
- Continue to use knowledge of phonics to sound out unfamiliar words - ("blending" sounds to read words) - "Oxford Owl" - free "eBook Library" - "Read, Write, Inc" Phonics books - please continue to read these at your own pace.
- Show understanding of all stories read.
(* Please continue to practise all the Literacy skills you have learned in Primary 1 on - "IXL English" - (Reception) - working through all the 48 skills at your own pace.)
Mathematics and Numeracy
Activities shall be set out for the different aspects of Mathematics and Numeracy for this period of "Home Learning" as follows:-
Note *(As before, those children who have been completing activities in their "New Heinemann Mathematics - Numbers To 10" workbook, "All About Numbers 0 - 10" booklet and also in their classwork books - I hope that you are now confident counting, writing and recognising numbers 1 - 10. You can continue to practise writing these numbers using "Letter Formation" on "https://www.doorwayonline.org.uk/activities/letterformation/" - (number formation).
Further revision work on numbers 1 - 10 can be completed this week in "Numbers 0 - 10 Revision Workbook" - continue working through this at your own pace.
Number / Mental Maths:
- Continue to count, write and recognise number values 0-5 / 0-10 - lots of counting practice to 5 /10 - "IXL Maths"- (Year 1 skills - continue to stretch yourself a little more) - "Numbers And Counting Up To 3/5/10" and "Letter Formation" on "topmarks.co.uk" - "number formation". (As before - lots to do for everyone!)
- Continue to play "Hide And Seek", "Helicopter Rescue" and "Count The Yeti 1-10" on "topmarks.co.uk".
- Continue to order number values 0-5 and 5-0 / 0-10 and 10-0 - (from different starting numbers).
- Carry out simple mental calculations - continue to identify which number comes before / after / between - using number values 0-5 / 0-10.
- Continue to count orally 1-10 / 1-20 - during your day e.g stamping your feet, jumping etc. Play "Apple Picking" on "topmarks.co.uk"
- Add 0 / 1 to any number within 5 /10.
I hope that you now feel confident with your "3D Shape" knowledge. Well done! Why not assess this on "IXL Maths" - (Reception) - "Solid Shapes" - (as before).
Measures: - (Length)
- Watch "BBC Bitesize" - Primary - Northern Ireland - Foundation Stage - Mathematics and Numeracy - Measurements - "Measuring".
- Compare objects to understand early ideas of "measurement" - through the use of appropriate language - "long" / "short" / "tall" / "thick" / "thin" / "large" / "small" /"wide" / "narrow".
- Extend language to compare additional objects - "longer" / "shorter" / "taller" / "thicker" / "thinner" / "larger" / "smaller" etc.
- Complete "Measure" worksheets and activities below (11) - work on at these at your own pace.
- Play "Let's Compare" on "topmarks.co.uk"
- Test your skills further on "IXL Maths" - (Reception) - "Size" - "Long and Short", "Tall and Short" and "Wide and Narrow".
- Use "non-standard" units to measure items in your home e.g "How many pencils long is your table?" "How many shoes wide is your front door?" etc
- Record the number of each of the different weather symbols found on the page by colouring in the correct number of boxes - to create a "Block Graph".
- Talk about your "findings" - "Which weather symbol did you find most / least of?" etc
*(Don't forget the "Active Learn" tasks assigned to you - for further learning).
THE WORLD AROUND US
We shall continue work on our final primary 1 topics "Weather / Summer".
- Watch the "Weather Video" powerpoint.
- Continue to talk about different types of weather - focus on our favourite weather and why.
- Continue to talk about Summer seasonal changes - in relation to plants, animals, birds, ourselves and weather etc.
- Watch "Cbeebies" - "Fun In The Sun" - continue to talk about staying safe in sunny weather e.g wearing suncream, hats etc.
- Talk about clothes we wear in Summer - find pictures of "sunny weather" clothes, cut them out and stick them on the given "Summer Clothes" page below.
All About Me - (P.D.M.U)
We are continuing this week, to think about ourselves and our bodies.
- This week we are thinking about our body parts.
- Sing "Head and shoulders, knees and toes..."
- Name all the body parts on the "My Body" worksheet. Use your knowledge of sounds / phonics to spell some of the "body part" words to write on the worksheet - get a grown-up to help you too. Colour.
ART / CRAFT
Topic for artwork - (Weather / Summer):-
- Draw a "Summer" picture.
- Make a colourful "pinwheel" using the given template.
for the "Healthy Kids Virtual Sports Day" on June 13th.